Monday, April 6, 2009

Are You Nuts!?!


Do walnuts in a chocolate chip cookie ruin or complete it?

The marriage of chocolate and nuts would cause some people to yell, “I object!” I recall debating the union at a very early age with my grandmother. Walnuts were a staple item in all of her homemade desserts. I thought they tasted terribly bitter. If I had a nickel for every time she said, “Eat around them…”

Dr. Mehmet Oz, professor of surgery at Columbia University and a regular on the Oprah Winfrey Show, explains that kids have more taste buds which are highly sensitized. A child’s 10,000 taste buds favor bland and sweet foods, finding other foods to be bitter. This is one of the body’s evolutionary safety mechanisms for avoiding poisons found in nature. I wish I had known this as a child. My grandmother might have made nut-free cookies had I been able to argue poison avoidance.

My 3,000 adult taste buds now seek chocolate with hazelnuts, almonds, cashews, peanuts, and other fruit and coconut combos. I still don’t enjoy a walnut and on principle, won’t eat around one.

2 comments:

  1. So does the fact that as we age, and our tastebuds apparently become less sensitive to bitter (and perhaps poisonous) substances, mean kids are smarter with their mouths than adults? Quasi-new meaning to a term I'm now coining "...into the mouths of babes...? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good point. I never thought of the term "smart-mouthed kid" as originating from tastebud sensitivity. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete