Thursday, August 20, 2009

Totally Tubular


I remember thinking that the term “retro” meant things from the past that are now cool again. You know, it was the return of avocado green appliances, bell bottoms, and frosty-blue eye shadow. I felt like I’d been gagged with a spoon the first time I realized that those things defining my generation - music, clothing styles, slang terms - are now what constitute “retro”.

The first time I became aware of this trend was when I identified my first “remake” on the radio. I was so indignant listening to the cover band make a complete mess of the original. I thought, “What a poser.” I’ve now come to terms with the fact that my music can be heard during “way back weekends” and “the ‘80s at eight”.

The greatest blow to my aging ego occurred this past Halloween. Tweener after tweener arrived at our door dressed in their ‘80s costumes. It’s surprising enough to see styles that you once wore cycle back to the store clothes racks - but a costume? Wicked.

Retro or “old-fashioned” candy is one of the few exceptions to this disheartening evolution. As mentioned in the previous blog “Like a Kid in a Candy Store”, candy is often associated with pleasant childhood memories. In most cases, old-fashioned really refers to candy from an earlier time during our life-span rather than that from an earlier generation.

You don’t have to “eat my shorts” to reconnect with your youth. Just eat some candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment