Monday, February 16, 2009

A Truffle a Day Keeps the Voices at Bay

My dear friend Jane is very health conscious. She probably hovers around 105 pounds after a Pina Colada and getting caught in the rain. I won’t debate the “nature vs. nurture” causal factors of her peak condition, but I will share that she considers broccoli a main course and running, an adrenaline cocktail.

Jane’s one daily indulgence is a piece of chocolate. I’m not talking just any chocolate. I’m talking good chocolate. She looks forward to this savory moment to get her through the rest of the working day.

Few of us self-permit such a public indulgence. We’re closet candy eaters. We apply face paint, dress in camo, and swoop into a co-workers cubicle for a handful of candy jar offerings before anyone is witness. Who doesn’t buy into the philosophical riddle “If I eat a piece of candy in a forest and no one is around to see me, do I gain a calorie?”

Jane’s approach is refreshing and effective. Coworkers enable her habit, she doesn’t binge, and she’s afforded herself a guilt-free pleasure.

Wouldn’t it be nice to indulge in some good chocolate and hear only “Mmmmm” in your head?

5 comments:

  1. It would indeed! Your post has me thinking of quality vs. quantity in chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now I can have my chocolate and cake too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my dear, you have given me a new lease on life! Merci, Merci beaucoup!
    I just may be able to lose weight, finally, by rewarding myself daily! with something so scrumptious.....

    ReplyDelete