Friday, September 10, 2010

There’s No Such Thing as a Stupid Question




Um, yes there is.

Educators use this phrase to encourage questions and class participation. I’m guilty of having said it once or twice during years of corporate training. I really meant that I’d like people to interact with me to avoid a four-hour monologue. And like any good educator, I waited until class had ended before privately giggling at the stupid questions.

We all know a stupid question when we hear it, and those who are honest with ourselves know a stupid question when we ask it. On more than one occasion I’ve called someone at their home and asked, “Where are you?” I blame cell phones for this - every single time I do it.

In the 1980s, some teachers decided to declare September 28th (or the last school day in September) as “Ask a Stupid Question Day” in order to encourage more student questions. I think this is a great idea for encouraging creativity and also for reassuring children’s developing egos that it’s okay to say something stupid and laugh about it.

Van Otis is jumping on board during their “75 Days of Chocolate” event by celebrating “Ask a Stupid Question Day” on September 28th. Customers are encouraged to stop by the
Elm Street store in Manchester and ask a stupid question. Participants will be rewarded with a smile, a free item, and possibly, a stupid answer. The person deemed as having asked the most stupid question of the day will receive one pound of chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment